Tuesday, April 7

Why I'm an Insomniac

Today I learned that someone I know reads my blog! This makes me a tad bit nervous, despite the fact that I created it for exactly that purpose. At least I can be sure my puny little blog isn't taking up much of her time (so far)!

After determining to go to bed at midnight, I am now working on a post at precisely 11:57 pm. So much for that. I really do realize that going to bed earlier would be greatly beneficial to me, but the quiet and the solitude of the late night hours at our house are just so...magical. When the kids are in bed (and sleeping, not just in bed) and Chris falls asleep on the couch I can watch whatever I like on the television, stalk whomever I please on Facebook, and spend as much time on Hot Coupon World as I can take. Oh, and I can do weird things like Google my high school band director and eat the brownie I bought Sara Beth today at Chick-fil-A, which has since been long forgotten.

So what does one do with no kids or husband to interrupt? Post on my soon-to-be-not-so-secret blog, apparently. At the same time, I'm watching 18 Kids and Counting on DV-R. The Duggars, who are biological parents to 18 children, are braving an ice storm. Considering the size of their family, this is a huge deal for them. I've been fascinated with this family for some time now--I even put their book, The Duggars: 20 and Counting, on my Christmas list this past year. After reading it, I realize Michelle and Jim-Bob (yes, that's his real name) have an incredible heart for the Lord and how hard they work to ensure that heart is implanted in each of their children. Most of us know the Bible says children are a blessing from the Lord, but the Duggars really challenge me in my belief of that statement. How many times to I complain about my children as if the amount of difficulty they bring to my life somehow outweighs my joy in simiply seeing their little smiles? I realize that we are created as individuals and each person allows various amounts of stuff to interfere with their devotion and willingness to serve God, but I often envy this particular couple's dedication to not only live out but also find effective ways to pass on the legacy of a life truly open to God's leading.

Well, 33 minutes after my intended bedtime I'm still awake. And still typing. Shame on me. :)

No comments: