Thursday, June 18

Consider the Lord

Disclaimer: I originally wrote this as an e-mail to a friend of mine. So, Friend, if you're reading this, I apologize for managing the Department of Redundancy Dept. :D

It's amazing what you "know" but never pay attention to. I guess I should probably say it's amazing the things you breeze over until God draws you to them. Today I read this out of Ephesians and I think I fell in love (again):

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever. Amen!"--Ephesians 3:20-21

Just how often have I thought I knew what was best for my life? And how dumb was that? So often I pray for the good thing three feet in front of me when God has so much more waiting at the end of the next mile. How stupid I am...and how wondrous the matchless grace of Jesus. In my own little bubble, I can imagine that I am educated, I am smart, I have a handle on this life (Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, anyone?)--and yet when I look up from all the me of my life, I should weep at the enormous love God must have for me to allow me to act the way I do through a single day.

Where is my mind each day that I don't consider this? Because I don't. I start my day in hesitation and dread of what will attack me and I finish it regretting the things I watched myself do. And yet in my mind I know that the very SPIRIT OF GOD is hovering inside me waiting for me to recognize Him and to move out of the way of His work. In my mind. I know He desires abundance for me, peace within me, and gracious obedience from me...how is it that I fill my days working so hard to negate each of those things? To him be the glory in the church (not the building...but also the building)...how beautiful that statement sounds! How glorious and incredible that would be! How pitiful I am at bringing it. And yet, how marvelous and wonderful and uplifting to know that He is "able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine"; and that "his power...is at work within us". How incredible it is to have consistent, pervading, all-encompassing hope in every moment this side of eternity because of what awaits us on the other side. AND because of the knowledge that our battle to realize that eternal hope is already decided.

I stand amazed in the presence of Jesus the Nazarene, and wonder how He could love me--a sinner, condemmed, unclean. How marvelous! How wonderful! And my song shall ever be how marvelous, how wonderful, is my Savior's love for me!

No comments: